Monday, August 25, 2008

Importing Excel: Why Can’t I Get My SSIS Package to Work?

I used the TechRepublic tutorial at http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/datacenter/?p=205 to learn how to import an Excel dataset. It’s a good tutorial with pictures, which is what I needed since my DB skills are totally lame.

It worked perfectly on my test run. I easily imported a .xls that was sitting on my desktop to my local instance of SQL Server. Congratulations me.

But when I tried to use the tutorial today at the office, the same procedure threw me an exception error. And an ugly one at that:

Error: 0xC0202009 at Data Flow Task(infraction action), SQL Server Destination [3600]: An OLE DB error has occurred. Error code: 0x80040E14.

The problem is that the tutorial has you build a destination using the SQL Destination part. Well that works fine if you are importing local to local, but if you are sending something to a networked server it gives the error. You actually need to use the OLE DB Destination instead.

Thanks to the guys posting at the MS Forums who confirmed this.

No comments: