Friday, August 1, 2008

Error - "Backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing database."

I had trouble restoring a CONTACTS database onto a location on a different server than the one it was originally created on. The entire point was to get an instance of that database onto another box.

I copied the .BAK file for the CONTACTS database onto the new server and attempted to run the Restore wizard but got a 3154 error - "Backup set holds a backup of a database other than the existing database."

I tried making a empty, new CONTACTS database. Same error from the wizard.

The problems seems to be that the backup path for the original CONTACTS was on the C:\ drive on the orignial server, i.e. C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backups\contacts.bak

While the backup path for the new server is D:\Program Files\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\

The wizard couldn't find the path, I think.

The solution was to script a RESTORE with a REPLACE. Here's the script I used. Thanks to Pinal Dave on this one.

RESTORE DATABASE CONTACTS
FROM DISK = D:\Program Files\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup\contact_20080801.bak'
WITH REPLACE

Worked perfectly.

No comments: