Wednesday, June 11, 2008

splash.hta

So I'm trying to install my 180 day free trial of SQL Server Enterprise edition that comes with the MCTS training kit on my home computer and I can't get the CD to autorun.

I do the obvious thing and explore the CD and find what looks like the executable file and click on that. It still won't open.

I dig around the internet and find out that the installation wizard actually has to start through a file on CD called splash.hta. Only I can't get my machine to recognize an .hta file. I keep getting this error:

Splash.hta
The parameter is incorrect.

Hey, thanks error message writer guy, for the cryptic note.

Turns out I need to associate the .hta with it's .exe file which happens to reside in Windows\system32. This coy file is named mshta.exe. So I associate it and it works.

The installation goes forth and prospers until the System Configuration Checker in the SQL Server Installation Wizard reminds me I forgot to enable IIS.

Easily done in add/remove Windows components. Voila. Now, we can get down the to the business of a full install.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks I was just fiddling with this stupid thing. You solved my problem.